Factsheet on Ebola in West Africa (ECHO)
- Ebola epidemic is taking a devastating toll in the four affected countries: Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria. As of 18 August there are 2 473 reported cases of infected with the virus and close to 1 350 deaths.
- According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), this is the largest recorded outbreak in terms of cases, deaths and geographical coverage. The WHO has declared the epidemic a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), calling for a coordinated international response.
- The European Commission is increasingly concerned by the continuing spread of the disease. It has continuously scale up its response since March 2014 and has pledged a total of EUR 11.9 million for humanitarian aid.
- In addition humanitarian experts have been deployed in the region, monitoring the situation and liaising with partners and local authorities.
- The European Commission is closely following the situation through its Emergency Response Coordination Centre (ERCC).